If you ever change the URL are the name of your website, you may want to change the username to something simple that associates itself with the name of your site.
However, I ran into a small issue when I attempted to update my username from the back-end of WordPress, I couldn’t do it.
So, I called my favorite hosting service provider Siteground for some assistance in changing my username and I was given two answers.
- You can create a new username and delete the old one. Keep-in-mind, you will need to use a different email for the new username.
- You could go into the database from the cPanel of your hosting provider (in my case Siteground) and make the change.
- You could search for a Username plugin to install and update your username from the plugin.
Which option did I choose?
How you decide to change your username depends upon your preference; however, if you guessed I used the plugin, you guessed correct.
I opted for the plugin for two reasons:
- I didn’t want to delete my username because that would separate my name from all the post I’ve created.
- I avoid making changes within the database when I can, and that’s exactly what I did by using a plugin for the same results.
Besides, I made my changes in a couple of clicks without any hassle. Here’s how.
- First, log in to your WordPress dashboard and install Easy Username Updater plugin from WordPress.
- Second, once installed and activated, go to Users > Username Updater >
- In the Update column, click “Update” for the username you want to change.
- Enter the new username in the text box.
- Check the box that says “you want to send an email with the updated username.”
- Click update username.
- Go to the user you updated and you will see the username has been changed.
Can I uninstall the plugin?
Now, in case you’re a little techie like me and you don’t like to have a lot of plugins laying around without being used. The answer to this question is, Yes! You can uninstall the plugin once you’ve changed your username.
Simple log back into your site with the new username, go to plugins > deactivate the username plugin and delete it.
If you change the name of your WordPress site or you just want to make a username change for yourself or a member of your site, you have a few options to choose from.
This blog post with explain too you the different options and give you step-by-step instructions for the method I used to change my username.