Let’s assume you’ve purchased your domain name, hosting service and you did a Quick Install for WordPress through Siteground.
Now it’s time to install the theme and plugins to customize your site.
Today we’re going to install our theme and plugin(s) from the WordPress library, which is loaded with any theme or plugin you can dream of or need.
For this walk-through, we’re going to install the following:
How do I install a theme from the WordPress library?
As mentioned. We are going to install the Astra theme for this walk-through. Let’s install it.
1) In the left-hand sidebar of the admin, hover over “Appearance” and click on “Themes”.
(On the themes window you’ll see a few themes have been installed. Don’t worry, these themes were automatically installed when you did the quick installation of WordPress.)
2) Next, click the “Add New” button at the top left-hand corner above the active theme.
3) To help your search, click the filter tabs (featured, popular or latest) for a quick search.
3a) Alternatively, you can search for specific features by clicking on “Feature Filter” and select the features you need and click “Apply Filters”.
4) Now, browse through the themes until you find one you like. For this tutorial, we’re going to search for the Astra theme.
5) Hover over the theme and click the “Details & Preview” or the “Preview” button to get an idea of how the theme will look.
6) Once you have found the Astra theme or the theme you want to install, click the “Install” button from the preview or filter window.
7) Lastly, click the “Activate” button to make your theme active on your site.
Your theme is now installed and live on your website. If you followed these steps, the Astra theme is now active and ready to be customized.
You can view your website in a different tab or click the “Visit Site” link when you hover over your website name in the upper left-hand corner of the admin bar.
How do I install a plugin from the WordPress library?
Again, as mentioned. We’re going to install the Elementor page builder for this walk-through. Let’s install.
1) In the left-hand sidebar of the admin, hover over “Plugins” and click on “Add New”.
1a) If you clicked “Installed Plugins” you’ll see a few plugins have been installed. Don’t worry, these plugins were automatically installed when you did the quick installation of WordPress.
2) Next, click the “Add New” button.
2a) A side note. You can use the filter tabs (Featured, Popular or Recommended) for a quick search.
5) Click the “Install” button to install the page builder plugin.
6) Lastly, click the “activate” button.
You done! You’ve just installed your first plugin on your website.
You can now visit the plugin page at any time and search for a plugin or you want or need and install.
By repeating these steps, you can now install any theme or plugin you would like the WordPress library for free.
If you have any issues, never feel you’re alone.
You can always
- Sign-in to your account and ask questions.
- You leave a comment below for anyone to reply.
- Start a chat using the button in the bottom right-hand corner.
- Lastly, you can search or website.
Either way, the community is here to help you.
‘Til the next episode,